![]() |
| http://www.ef.co.uk/ |
The new year starts with a new job, a new challenge and a return to Cambridge, which I have for a long time considered to be my favourite city in the world. This time, I am hoping it lasts and that I can finally live and work in this city, an opportunity for which has come earlier than expected.
It's 9 years since I last lived in Cambridge full-time and a couple of years since I last worked there, for Bell Education Trust, at The Leys, on one of their hugely successful young learner summer courses. Very recently, I applied for and successfully landed a senior teacher role on a University Preparation Abroad programme at Education First, Hills Road. It's the first time I've been a 'senior' anything. Just in time, age-wise, before I start having 'senior' moments, too. I will be teaching more on the EAP (English for Academic Purposes) side of things, rather than straight EFL - which was always my preference post-MA. Some of my students are aiming to attend a UK University to do their first degree, others will have already completed their first degree and are now pre-masters. A few in my class, oddly, are even potential PhD/doctoral researchers. Other specialist subjects are taught, such as Mathematics and Scientific subjects, but fortunately not by me!
Although
I've had responsibility before, mostly being front-of-house at a bar
and restaurant in my home town, this is the first time as a language
teacher that I've not been on the perceived 'bottom rung'. I've
previously been a mere 'EFL teacher' in South Korea, China and Saudi, as
well as on the summer courses mentioned already. So this is definitely
a step up. I have, nonetheless, taking unofficial responsibility for
mentoring other teachers and student-teachers, most recently at Warwick,
on the MA. How my 'senior' role works out remains to be seen, but if 50% of that is taking the lead and showing initiative then that suits me fine.
| Screenshot from promotional video - click here |
This role will not only see me doing the usual things of working on course material, being involved in the organization and administration of exam practice and actual teaching, but I will also, ideally, be taking a lead on the delivery of Virtual Learning Environment/e-learning tools across the school. This was a key factor, I believe, in being hired, and with my recent research into this area, I feel I have the necessary, ahem, tools to do this. I feel that I have always lead by example, anyway, so this, in theory, should be no different. However, I feel out of practice, 'rusty' in the work environment. There are lots of new requirements and added responsibilities this time around. I think by the looks of the timetable that I will be having long working days. I will need to show patience not to expect everything to be in place from the off, and let things build.
During the past week, I was fortunate enough to obtain (courtesy of an early birthday present) a 4th generation iPad. I now need to spend some time familiarising myself with it. It will obviously be used for personal and pleasure use (Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, Spotify etc), but will eventually become my tool for teaching. My first 'purchase' was Adrian Underhill's Macmillan Sounds app, based around a working phonemic chart. There are rooms with soft comfortable, furnishings at the school, which I think are called iLabs, dedicated to iPad tuition. The students are asked to keep blogs and we share info using Google Docs, which I've not previously used, but probably works, with a shared drive, much like Dropbox - which I have previously used. Homework can be set and monitored this way. Most of this is new to me.
It is going to be a steep learning curve in some areas, mostly in the way that EF operates and the expectations it has of its students. A lot of these expectations, however, might apply to any language school looking to prepare it's attendees for progression into university life. I'm working my way through a 50+ page teacher's handbook, which contains plenty of expected information, such as the learning and teaching strategy, learning outcomes and methods of assessment.
I've already had an induction, 3 days before actually starting (7 Jan) which filled me with as many questions as answers. But this will realistically be a case of learning 'on the job'. I'm going to be very busy now.
_______________________________________________________________________________
Postscript:
I left this post after one week and a couple of days. As previously disclosed - in 19 - I can suffer from generalised anxiety disorder in certain situations. Sometimes, things become too much for me and I feel the need to run away, rather than sticking with it. It is not a constant attribution.
Despite the familiarity of Cambridge there were a few factors which contributed to my dysfunctional state of mind. I had been struggling with anxiety-related stress throughout the Christmas period. I don't know how I managed to cope with the interview during this time, but I did. Once the job offer came (31 Dec) things happened very quickly. I had to get organised and sort out accommodation, in order that I could start on Mon 7 Jan.
I found the place to be chaotic and overcrowded. It was the middle of winter and some rooms were freezing cold. My latent claustrophobia kicked in. I did not react well to a cluttered teachers' room. I managed to teach my morning class, 'academic writing skills', in a converted attic, but was moved to a smaller, cupboard-like space for the second week.
I had stated, above, that I would need to show patience not to expect everything to be in place from the off. This came true and I found patience lacking. I was also overly worried about the 'senior' part of my role and did not feel organised or mentally stable.
Above all else, however, was the issue to do with accommodation. EF kindly arranged for a bed & breakfast place in Great Shelford and I commuted the short trip in each morning for that week. On Saturday, I moved into a tiny room in a small, cluttered house in Derwent Close. I only had a few days to arrange a place to live. On the Friday, before I started work, I visited this place, following an induction at Hills Road, and before going on to my friend's 50th Birthday party. It was a house owned by an antique's dealer who I think had his own issues with OCD by the way things were laid out. I felt rushed into a decision to accept, in order to take away the worry of house hunting. It was never going to be a conducive place to live. I should never have agreed to move in. I lasted 3 days and 3 nights.
Postscript:
I left this post after one week and a couple of days. As previously disclosed - in 19 - I can suffer from generalised anxiety disorder in certain situations. Sometimes, things become too much for me and I feel the need to run away, rather than sticking with it. It is not a constant attribution.
Despite the familiarity of Cambridge there were a few factors which contributed to my dysfunctional state of mind. I had been struggling with anxiety-related stress throughout the Christmas period. I don't know how I managed to cope with the interview during this time, but I did. Once the job offer came (31 Dec) things happened very quickly. I had to get organised and sort out accommodation, in order that I could start on Mon 7 Jan.
I found the place to be chaotic and overcrowded. It was the middle of winter and some rooms were freezing cold. My latent claustrophobia kicked in. I did not react well to a cluttered teachers' room. I managed to teach my morning class, 'academic writing skills', in a converted attic, but was moved to a smaller, cupboard-like space for the second week.
I had stated, above, that I would need to show patience not to expect everything to be in place from the off. This came true and I found patience lacking. I was also overly worried about the 'senior' part of my role and did not feel organised or mentally stable.
Above all else, however, was the issue to do with accommodation. EF kindly arranged for a bed & breakfast place in Great Shelford and I commuted the short trip in each morning for that week. On Saturday, I moved into a tiny room in a small, cluttered house in Derwent Close. I only had a few days to arrange a place to live. On the Friday, before I started work, I visited this place, following an induction at Hills Road, and before going on to my friend's 50th Birthday party. It was a house owned by an antique's dealer who I think had his own issues with OCD by the way things were laid out. I felt rushed into a decision to accept, in order to take away the worry of house hunting. It was never going to be a conducive place to live. I should never have agreed to move in. I lasted 3 days and 3 nights.
It's all a blur now, but I remember trying to sign up at a local GP surgery. On the Monday, at the start of the second week, snow had fallen. An ambulance was called to the house. I had not slept at all. I had spent the weekend in a state, not getting for Monday. Mark, who had helped me move to Shelford Lodge, had seen me in this state. Instead of turning up for work, I found myself in hospital. Before I knew it, I was back at work telling them I was not going to continue and my stuff was being collected. In the heavy snow, I was driven back to Norfolk, via the Crisis team in Norwich.
In February, following an incident back home, I was admitted to a psychiatric unit in King's Lynn. Then it really hit me what had happened. My future prospects, at that point, looked bleak.

No comments:
Post a Comment