Monday, 19 August 2013

Destination Dalian

Image: DPU home page 
Having recently written about needing to find work and being honest about anxiety-related problems, I am delighted to have been given a new opportunity.  It has come a lot quicker than expected.  I'm actually excited this time.  As I predicted in my last post,  I have chosen something familiar, yet different.  I am returning to teach in China, again opting to teach art and design students on a university programme.  The difference is that, instead of Beijing, this time I will be living in the north-east coastal city of Dalian, in the south of Liaoning  - here, and working at Dalian Polytechnic University.



© Google Earth
Research Notes - Taiwan

I toyed with the idea of a job in Taiwan, but all the research seemed to point to the probability that I would only be able to get work in a Buxiban - here - teaching young learners.  It would have been reminiscent of teaching in a hagwon in South Korea.  I also briefly looked into other countries in south-east Asia, including Vietnam. Whether it was my head or my heart, I don't know, but I thought that my best option would be to return to the Motherland.  It was then a case of whereabouts.  I wanted to avoid long, cold winters if possible.  This ruled out a potential position at Perfect English in Changchun, where temperatures get down to -30 degress C.  I was also keen to avoid young learners.  In addition, I wanted a 'reasonable' salary.  I did not have high expectations here, but I wanted the rate to reflect I had done an MA.  A salary of at least 10,000 RMB per month was a minimum starting point for China and I manage to negotiate a basic 10,500 RMB (+ travel expenses).

A similar post (different recruiter, same location) was advertised elsewhere - here - at only 6,500 RMB p/m.  So I felt that was a result.  In addition, I wanted guarantees of at least one return flight to the UK.  This position offers two.  It also offers free accommodation on campus - another bonus.  Only one other possible position, a university job through EF in Shanghai, came anywhere near these terms.  

OK, so I am still in the north-east, so I will have a fairly cold winter ahead of me but, so far, reports of Dalian - the city - have been positive.  It is, by all accounts, a beautiful, relaxing and liveable city.   

Research Notes - China
The institution, Dalian Polytechnic University (DPU), runs a course which is affiliated with Winchester School of Art and the University of Southampton - here.  There are two BA (Hons) degrees offered - in Graphic Arts and Fashion Design.  The course is four years in total, with two years spent at each campus. English language for Art & Design is offered and, I guess, I might be involved in doing that or, at least, it might be interwoven into lessons.  I already have an interest to work with students in this area, even if I am no expert on either fashion nor graphic design.  The way I got involved in 'Project X' at the Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA), Beijing, showed my interest in what the students were doing and how they were developing as budding artists, with ambitions to own their own studio one day.  An extended clip from 'Project X' is on the video page, along with a role-play on 'light pollution'.

Trying to improve the English of Chinese students will probably extend to trying to improve their research and academic skills.   I know all too well how lacking these can be,  having taught in Beijing on a preparatory Arts course and this summer on a pre-sessional. In addition, many of my fellow MA students (over 50%) were from China and I often helped them with their studies, which included some unpaid proof-reading. I did get a few coffees and hot pots out of it.

Furthermore, my professional practice module at Warwick was based upon improving Chinese learners' oral and presentation skills.  I devised a whole set of training materials for introducting MyBrainshark into a real context - CAFA - and these are still available online - here.  Hopefully I will be able to put my theory into practice, which would be great.

As well as living in China, I also wish to learn some Putonghua (Mandarin) - here.  I tried unsuccessfully to learn some last time out, despite having a glorious opportunity as I lived with a Chinese woman and her 9 year old son for four months.  I've generally been a poor language learner in my lifetime, with my best attempt being when I lived in Korea.  Hangul is much simpler.  So, in some ways, this will be a bigger challenge than the job.  But I've already downloaded the Chinese Pod app - here - I just need to use it now and to consider a subscription.  I have taken some inspiration from polyglot Sandy Millin, a self-described 'technologically and linguistically adventurous EFL teacher' - here - who started learning Mandarin a year ago, before dropping it due to other commitments and then picking it up again this year, although she will soon be leaving Newcastle for a DoS position in Sevastopol, Ukraine.

So, another challenge lies ahead.  Term starts on 26 August.  Applying for a work permit and visa takes up to 5 weeks, so initially I will fly out on a business visa.  The likelihood is that I will fly out around 12 September, once my work Z-visa is sorted out, and will start teaching straight away.  I will be able to return to the UK after the first term, which will be sometime in January 2014.  Although with Chinese 'red-tape' who knows anything for sure?  I've already got my VPN (proxy server) sorted out for both laptop and iPad.  I hope to have both my flight booked and visa sorted out, very soon. I'm excited about the new challenge, but I need to get myself organised.  I'm deliberately using the excitement to supersede any nervous anticipation.  It's make or break time in respect of me teaching English. This time I have to get it right. This time I have to cope. There is simply no alternative.

It's not the Destination... click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment