Saturday, 12 December 2009

The Benefits Of Kindness

Hello.


The chart illustrates the cinema attendance in two European countries over the past 30 years.  

(Sorry, thought I was answering an IELTS Writing Task 1 question for a minute there!)

I've had a better week this week.  Things are better at work, better at home and better for being able to run on a treadmill twice a week at my local gym.

I'm more relaxed about things at work.  There are still personnel problems but I'm happy about what I've taught and how I have gone about my job.   I felt bad for a work colleague who had her USB stick stolen, not because it was incredibly valuable but because something was taken from our normally secure office.  We think it was somebody with a chinese complexion... we are not sure... but we think the guilty party may speak Mandarin well!  I have been teaching students about migration, driving and advertising this week.  I showed them 10 of the best British TV ads in Speaking Class this week, including Thomas Brown's much-loved Honda Accord ad (it's still on a flimsy disc in the TV room!):






Home continues to improve and my relationship with Hong Yan is cool.  Fu remains a wonderful kid and we continue to bond.  Scarily so, in fact.  You may have met him... he is the one often hovering in the background, wanting to play games, when I talk to you on Skype.  I vented my spleen to Hong Yan about Chinese teaching methods the other day and it cleared the air.  It can't just be all about memorising.  I showed him a Science Museum site which was more about teaching Physics than English and he absolutely loved it.  She was skeptical at first, because it wasn't English Language learning, but once she saw his overjoyed reaction at making a white ball go from one side of a table to another and into a hole, using various tools likes magnets, fans and see-saws, then was soon copying the website addres for her female compatriots (mothers of small boys).  As a 9 year old myself, I loved the Science Museum.  Those that took me to the famous London destination on my birthday know only too well...

I had my first hotpot last Sunday, as I treated HY, TT and FF at a surprisingly popular and tasty restaurant near to FF's Sunday English School, First Leap.  Here is the meal we enjoyed... just prior to the circus-style entertainment in freshly spun noodles...





My body has begun to improve its shape and heart rate due to me finally joining the local gym... I have waited ages for it to open up (on the advice of Xiaodan/Coffey I shouldn't join any other).  I still can't swim yet as the mayor (sic) hasn't been to offically declare it 'open' but I have played several games of ping-pong, including playing against Hong Yan.  And I have had workouts on the treadmill... I now intensively run for 30 minutes twice (or maybe thrice) per week.



The highlight of the week, however, was attending a Beijing Pop Concert, given by the Hong Kong actress and singer, Karen Mok. http://www.karenmok.com/karenmok.html

I attended this along with my 'Language Exchange' partner, Laura (see photo).  It was the second thing we had done outside of meeting on a Saturday for language exchange.  She is more of a friend, a social exchange on the weekends.  I want to learn Mandarin but I am a poor language learner and just want company on my days off.  On Tuesday, I went to a Chinese cinema for the first time.  It was a megaplex, a cinema just like any other in the UK.  We saw the new (Lord of the Rings director) Peter Jackson film, District 9.  Very interesting and quite original for a science fiction film.  It has put me off prawns for a while, however!

I have also successfully managed to transfer some money from my Chinese account to a UK account this week.  Everyone advised me this was impossible, but it turns out that all you need is 4 days and a very willing Chinese work colleague to help you and it can be done.  Oh, and you need to know your International Bank Account Number, which I miserably failed to find on my bank's online site, which would have saved me (and mum) a lot of bother.  Anyone, lesson learned!  I know I can do it now, the money landed in my UK account today and the VISA 'wolves' are no longer at my door.

My gratitude to the work colleague who helped me (over those 4 days and 4 separate trips to the Bank of Communications) was Qianqian.  I treated her to a slap up meal of Risotto (which has never had), salad and Banana Split.  I also had a heart-to-heart with her about everything under the sun.  She was extremely grateful, so I felt great from the benefits of kindness tonight (Saturday).  I am in Nanluoguxiang, my new favourite hutong in Dongcheng.  Tomorrow I will pay for my family to have a meal in Wangjing, as has become a tradition on Sundays, seeing as I am not allowed to pay rent to my landlady (Hong Yan).

Oh, and Coffey texted me tonight.  She wants to talk... maybe i will talk to her tomorrow

A better week, maybe I can be a better man, too. Who knows.  By the way, I have to work on Christmas Day this year!

See ya!

Teacher Phili x


No comments:

Post a Comment