I can't go on at length about the bitter cold here in Beijing this week. That is because it is just as cold at home in the UK. And you currently have snow, whereas Beijing doesn't. It is extremely biting when the wind picks up and it is very dry. The conditions are making my skin dehydrated. You apply more water to the surface of the body only to dehydrate it even further, which is why a skin cream should work better. Even that, however, doesn't seem to have much effect. My feet are falling apart and my hands are vulnerable to cuts. Having said that, I remain physically healthy and have still avoided all viruses to date. I'm experience a higher than normal amount of static electric shocks, but am not the only one. It's great to give them to Fu and he goes into hysterics when I give him one, except I can't plan it.. it just happens.
On Thursday, I ventured to a pub located halfways between the Drum and the Bell Towers to hear an impromptu mongolian throat singer. I realised that it was the missing link between Radiohead (the guitar playing) and Kurt Cobain (the singing). Hannah and I had expected a Xinjiang dance band, but got this instead. It was interesting, nonetheless.
Some frustrations have been leaking out recently. Maybe I am a little bit more vulnerable right now. It could just be that Beijing is going through the coldest part of the year. I rather not wear gloves but I need to. (Mind you, I have just fixed the broken door at the Bookworm and got a free coffee for my efforts).
I had a total of one student on Friday. Eight of my listed 14 students were absent due to taking their IELTS exams on Saturday, and most of them misguidedly go back to their hometowns under the false belief that it will be easier than taking the exam in Beijing (it is a standardised test all around the world!) Maybe they believe that they know someone who knows someone who is related to the examiner.. such is the Chinese mind. I am learning about this 'connections' philosophy at first hand. Not only did it grant me access to live at 1603 with my (ex?) girlfriend's aunt and her son, but going for an IELTS examiners job with the British Council is also more about who you know than what you know.
Then yesterday, I met up with my 'language exchange friend', Laura, and over an early lunch she took a phone call from her father and burst into tears. Despite being reasonably settled in Beijing and working for a translation company, she has been instructed to go back home. Her family are too concerned that she is 'struggling' on her own in Beijing! They have fixed her up with a bank job and no doubt are already lining up a potential husband, too. It's is not just Indian culture in which parents impose themselves on their fully-grown offpspring. She feels she has no choice. She could rebel, but she will effectively be exorcised from her extended family and they would only ring her each day to persuade her to change her mind. It seems that most Chinese only relocate if they have to and persuing your own dream or independence is somewhat frowned upon. On top of that, the overtly conservative mindset of many parents feeds fears into young people and wrongly influences their life choices. So I had a heart-to-heart with my friend and explained what I believed her parents had planned for her, and how her life would be boring compared to chasing her own dream. I painted a picture in her mind of what life would be like in 10 years' time. And how much notice was she given to return home? 2 WEEKS! So I will have to find another 'Saturday' friend.
All this touched a nerve for me, because of how Coffey's conservative parents had badly influenced her and put fears into her. (Oh, by the way, I'm not a conservative!) So much so, that despite how Coffey might feel separately from anything else, her parents' needs outweight her needs. It's 'desthpicable' as Daffy Duck used to say! I still haven't spoken to Coffey,which initially didn't concern me much, as we were both getting on with our
lives. I know she dressed up as a Christmas Party on Friday, but that is all that I know. The lack of communication bothers me.
On Friday, Fu had his own christmas party... not much of a party, actually. Some guy at First Leap English Club dressed up as Santa while all the other staff engaged the kids in Christmas related activities wearing their cod-American accents.
Jesus? No, he wasn't present. Cribs? Angels? Bethlehem? All absent! The true meaning of Christmas, therefore, was taught... and Fu HAD to fill in a Christmas Card which was pre-printed with the words 'to Daddy and Mummy' ! Didn't the organisers realise that not all parents stay together??? So, I pretended to be Fu's Daddy. I might as well be... I am also his older brother, now.
Apparently I have to go back to the police station to confirm that I am still resident at 1603 - as 'temporary residence' only lasts for one month. But my passport is elsewhere, being looked at again by some authority or other.. my work permit situation still not finalised... i've been granted the right to work here in Beijing, but 10 different levels of bureaucracy need informing, apparently. Can you sense the sarcastic tone in my writing?
And, another thing... one of these days I will deliberately walk out in front of a big bus and make it stop just to make the point that I am crossing the road while a green man indicates that I can. I am fed up with 99% of drivers ignoring red lights.. I know that I am in the absolute minority here, but it does seem like a free-for-all on Beijing's roads. (cue: email from mum suggesting I don't try this!)
I will be turning up for work next Friday, Christmas Day, but I don't expect much of a turn out. I will probably be down the same pub on Christmas Eve and Day. I won't stay at home. Fu's phonics lessons will be put on hold. And I will patiently wait until the weekend for the Christmas episode of Doctor Who to appear online. It will be the highlight of my Christmas, which otherwise will not involve turkey, Cranberry Sauce or pulling crackers. Bliss!
No comments:
Post a Comment