Guanxi is a central idea in Chinese society. The concept is not exclusively Chinese, as there are many versions n other cultures, such as Sociolismo in Cuba, and Blat in Russia. Sociologists have written in the past about 'social capital' (LJ Hanifan, Pierre Bourdieu,, and others have written about 'Gemeinschaft' (Ferdinand Tonnies).Essentially, Guanxi is the personal connection between two or more people in which one side is prevailed upon to perform a favour or service for the other. The two protagonists need not be of similar social status. Guanxi is also used to describe a network of contacts, which individuals can draw upon in times of need or for an exertion of influence. The more influence you have, the more 'good' Guanxi you possess. Guanxi isn't necessarily used at the family level, although it can be used in extended family situations. It doesn't apply in other regular societal relations, such as boss-employee or teacher-student. But it can be used across different public spheres. A parent, for example, could call on a friend, who runs a business and ask for her son or daughter to be given a job in that firm. The guarantee of that offspring being employed is often based on a previous favour given the other way.
It has happened within the past fortnight at my firm, in which a young, female, undergraduate has been given a job with our company. I have been asked by the Director of Studies to help with her English, by giving her private tuition. This person, who pays no fee to the university, has been allowed to sit in on our lessons and help out with general office duties. We are led to believe that she is going to repay the offer by setting up some kind of business link with university students. That remains to be seen, but Guanxi is clearly at work here.
Tied up with Guanxi, is the other very common concept of 'face'. To turn down or to be dismissive in the face of Guanxi may result in loss of face for one party, not something the Chinese like to have happen to them. 'Face' affects people not wanting to appear stupid or ignorant. It affects a student who (a) doesn't want to feel embarrassed in front of peers and (b) doesn't want to embarrass her peers by knowing all the answers.
But I don't wish to dwell upon 'face'. I only wish to deal with social relations. Clearly, I don't have any guanxi. I am not Chinese and I wouldn't know how to exert influence in that way. I have no connections or social relations which I have built up in the 6 months I have been here. I am able to influence normal social relations at work by showing good examples and demonstrating good, professional practice. My influence is more subtle, less pressured. I hope I respond to new requests as part of my job with good grace. I have, for example, to now teach a separate paying student at the main office, twice a week in the afternoons. This comes within my contract, but up until now has not been applied. I am well organised this semester and have my teaching overview laid out. So, I don't have to spend all afternoon planning lessons and can easily cope with 4 hours of 'additional' one-to-one tuition. I prefer the photocopier in the Bell office, anyway, so I will take it as an opportunity for colour printing! Every indication after the first full week of teaching is that the students will not be around in June or July. All the good students will have left, while all the next band will be going to the UK or the States earlier in order to do foundation language studies ahead of starting their courses in September. March to May will be full-on, but attendance will be patchy. I am already missing two thirds of my class in some lessons! But I can quietly build and lay some solid foundations for next year, next Semester, this coming September.. which leads me onto my main news.
I have signed a 12 month contract for a new apartment. The contract is solely in my name, but Lisa is paying half of all the costs. She will move in with me next weekend. The contract has begun on Pi Day (3.14). It does 2 essential things. It shows a commitment to my new relationship and to my relationship with Beijing. It doesn't guarantee I will work for Bell-Beijing after this current contract ends but it does show a strong intention of doing so. That remains to be seen and I needn't (re)negotiate that until the summer. As previously blogged, it is impossible to have any kind of decent relationship while we are both living in our current situations. I have been encouraged to take the initiative and found happy that the place I saw and chose is the one we have agreed to move into. It has happened very quickly, but a lot of thought has gone into it. Already the contract is signed, I have not paid a single yuan so far, but will repay my share over the coming months. Trust and faith has been shown on a level which indicates a long-term relationship... and I believe that we have laid the basis of our life together with very positive, trust and love-based foundations.
Any financial concerns about being able to afford my own place are made easier by joint-sharing the cost. Any financial doubts about continuing to pay the rent for up to 12 months have been (hopefully) removed by a verbal agreement between Lisa and myself. We both want it to work, but realise that nothing is certain in life. She has committed herself to her French employer in Beijing for at least another year, if not 2 years. She is mature, logical (most of the time) and reasonable astute with money. I am confident that even if I don't work for Bell or at CAFA I can find alternative employment. But my feeling is that I will be back at the arts university, with a new cohort of students, next year. I will feel the benefits of returning and that last sentence is key to why I feel that I would not be repeating the experience I had on returning to Changwon, Oct 2008.
I don't feel, therefore, the need for 'guanxi'. As from next weekend, I will have someone who can regularly 'scratch my back' if I want it!!
first pictures from apt.201, Kandouguoji.
Love
TP

No comments:
Post a Comment