Well, after a delay of around a month, I finally jet off to Saudi tomorrow (Wed 20 Oct). I will be teaching as part of the Obeikan Research Development programme at King Saud University. It is been frustrating waiting for the visa to be issued and, when it did come through, it is strictly for 30 days with a warning that 'working is not permitted'. I think I should be OK as long as I declare that I am a consultant working for a British company. Hence the 'business' visa, not the 'working' one, which takes even longer to process.
I've read and re-read the arrival instructions. Some of it doesn't apply to me as I am not intending to stay beyond the length of my short contract. I do not require an Iqama (residence permit) and I only have enough Saudi Arabian Riyal for the basics. If food is provided at the university, I might only have to fork out for food at the hotel. I do not intend to go shopping at any point and may keep my journeys strictly between the hotel and the university.
I'm taking my iPod and my laptop, but they have been extensively wiped of any possible offensive pictures - people other myself showing sleeveless arms, torsos etc, nothing special. I've made back-ups. My iPod now mostly consists solely of (Arabian singer) Natacha Atlas, Transglobal Underground (featuring Natacha Atlas), Tinariwen, Peter Gabriel, Talk Talk, The Orb and the Berlitz Arabric Guaranteed CDs. I've begun learning some basic greetings, but I suspect most people I speak with will have a decent command of English anyway.
I've had many thoughts about entering the country and how long it may take at customs... but in the end it will probably be fine. I've chosen a flight which lands at 6am, so maybe everyone will be half asleep. I do hope there are no problems, however, before I meet my contact on the other side. The first day will involve a lot of orientation, questions and, hopefully, answers. I have thought a lot recently about what the actual teaching might entail. I know it is a 'preparatory programme', which I hope means Saudis gearing up for full-time university and needing to improve their English just ahead of starting a full-time course. It may even involve IELTS preparation, which I experienced at CAFA. I have had some contact numbers for a while, but I have resisted making any connection so far and will find out more details when I get there.
By Saturday I will in the classroom, beginning 4 weeks of intensive tuition, 8 hours per day. I will be flying home in the early hours of the morning following my final shift (Wed 17 Nov). Blink, and I might miss it.
http://www.ord.com.sa/english/Default.asp

No comments:
Post a Comment