Friday, 22 October 2010

First Impressions - Saudi



Well, this is different.

I have arrived in Riyadh after what seemed a really short 6 hour flight from Heathrow.  I had a little forsight and took out some extra Saudi Arabian Riyals at the airport, about which the woman serving me commented that it should gets me plenty of 'dates'.  It was my first to time to fly from Terminal 5 and with British Airways.  The plane was incredibly empty, passengers nearly outnumbered by crew.  All the preparation and fear about getting through customs was ridiculous, as within minutes of picking up by suitcase I was out in the arrivals lounge being badgered by local taxi drivers.  I had a feeling that 6am was a good arrival time, but security was lax to say the least.. needles to say, I had nothing to declare.  My designated driver was not there to greet me, so I had to wait for him, rather than accept the many alternative offers.  I didn't know which hotel I was checking into, anyway.  Eventually I was drive to The Nakhil and shown to room 304.  My flat mate from Chicago was there to greet me, bleary-eyed.  He had been warned that someone new was coming to stay.  I later met most of the other teachers from the KSU progamme, all of whom are doing the full term.  They seem to have 'bonded', having been here between 5 and 10 days already and had done a weeks teaching already.  All seem outwardly confident and opinionated, while I feel like a little boy lost. I have learned not to panic in the past, but memories do flood back so easily.  It was weird not having any KSU orientation on my first 2 days and it seems that my first 'working' day would be the proper orientation that I need. This leaves 19 days of actual teaching.  So the first 2 days have been about getting to know the other teachers and adjust to the heat.  I managed to share experiences of Korea, Japan and Beijing over a Mexican meal on the first night.I went for a Lebanese meal at lunchtime today.

The immediate impression of the terrain outside is similar to what I expected.  It looks like a construction site out there. The city is still being built. The roads are wide, the youngsters like to screech their tyres and crossing the road is often about dodging the fast moving vehicles.  Everywhere is dry, in more ways than one.  It was rather strange 'drinking' non-alcoholic Budweiser with fully grown men, who I could see needed a real drink... but going for a late night mango juice before bed was cute if not surreal.  Actually, not drinking is probably the best possible thing for me.  I am smoking already, as I did in the summer... got to have one vice... as these are often the best times for sharing information and meditating.  

Prayers are 5 times a day and the call for prayer is loud and clear, with businesses shutting down for the duration.  It will be something I get used to quickly and if it happens during class then I will have about 3 minutes to wrap up the lesson.  So far, the locals have been friendly and curious.. but I am still going to stick close to my colleagues as between them there is enough knowledge to get into and out of any situation. 

Tomorrow (Saturday) it begins.. the real business of why I am here.  I may be absolutely shattered by next Thursday - my next day off.

TP

No comments:

Post a Comment