I've come to the end of my one month visit to Riyadh. It's been educational, giving me an insight into Arab culture, and has given me renewed confidence that I could walk into just about anywhere in the world and teach. A return to the middle-east, whether Saudi or another Gulf State, is likely. it is unlikely I will return here in February for the start of the 2nd semester, although I wouldn't rule it out. What is more likely is a repeat of this one month contract next September/October, if the opportunity arises. Alternatively, I could try Bahrain or Kuwait. King Abdullah has just announced that he is extended the Eid Al-Adha holiday period, which means that staff and students won't be returning until Saturday 26 Nov, instead of Monday 21 Nov. He can do that and he has.
I've written a new teacher guide to things-to-do in Riyadh in order to satisfy my employers that i have 'worked' in my final week. I have also submitted a fast-moving promo video (see link below) featuring the corridors of KSU. Sometimes I do things without direct permission just to see what happens.
The day before we left, an American guy picked up some guides to Islam from the university library and commented about how he was going to read up about the culture. Another guy, sitting across the way, said he only needed one book - the Qur'an. I see more clearly now why the Qur'an is revered. I don't need to read it myself to understand its importance to Muslims. What I respect about its message as given to the prophet Muhammad (632 CE) and, by extension, Muslims, is it has remained the same. The memorising and recitation of the holy book through the ages gives it weight, over and above a contradictory Bible which has been edited, rewritten, revised and disputed by scholars. Who actually wrote the Bible is a common thesis. It seems clearer who 'wrote' the Qur'an. None of this makes me religious, but as an agnostic leaning heavily towards atheism, I can have an opinion and I am allowed to respect one belief more than another. What I didn't realise until this trip were the similarities, rather than the differences, between Protestant and Islamic faith and how much Jesus Christ, the person, fits into the picture of both. Maybe I was ignorant to begin with, but I have learned a lot.
So I have not touched any alcohol, pork or women in the past month. I have had what recovering alcoholics would call 'a moment of clarity' over drink. Because it is not available (apart from illegally imported or reproduced liquor found in compounds) I have had no option than to be tee-total. It's been good for me. Occasionally, I have wanted a drink but I have never, at any point, needed one. We do seem to rely upon alcohol all too easily in the west. We drink, often without really thinking about it. Yes, I have tried various fruit-flavoured NA beers, and these have had a placebo effect of sorts. But my conclusion is that I will drink less than before, because it is not important. Will I continue to smoke as I have done here .... hopefully not.... but that remains to be seen.
Anyway, it's time to go, pack my bags, say goodbye and head home for 24 hours. Next stop: Spain (holiday) and Kent (winter explorer). In between, apply for a job with the British Council and follow THE ASHES!!!
Warning: contains fast-moving images.
Click on this link to see it on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mVxevO9uQ
TP

No comments:
Post a Comment