Thursday, 10 February 2011

PD Week



10 days in.  It has been 'professional development week', which officially means attending sessions about general teaching practice, using hired-in trainers.  Unofficially, it was about getting to know some of the other teachers, supervisors and managers.  Some are already familar from my last visit, but there are plenty of new faces around, who I have been able to offer some advice to.  The week was sandwiched by two 'beanos' out of the city - a tent in Janadriya and the plush surroundings of Obeikan Farm.

The former involved a small ride to the half-desert.  Not the full blown sand dunes, but there were camels.  Here we chilled and talked.  Some of the manager's children came too and the atmosphere was relaxed until one of the host's kids starting driving a car around.  Over cardoman tea and kabsah e (chicken and rice), we gently discussed Islam, using the thoughts of a local scholar.  There was a quiz, too.  Halfway through the afternoon, a battered ice-cream van turned up, like a mirage, and everyone had a 2 riyal cone.


The latter 'beano' involved travelling for an hour to Obeikan Farm, or as I like to say, 'No Bacon' Farm.   This was essentially a get together, involving a lavish banquet, football, kabbadi, cricket and a quiz.   It also acted as a 'sweetner' ahead of a possibly difficult semester ahead.  The more you put into it, the more you got out of it.  A chance to network, although not particularly my strength, and talk in a more relaxed environment than the KSU campus.  I threw myself into a football match but soon realised I was not 'match-fit', being subsituted after one touch of the ball.  More enjoyable was the Kabbadi, a tagging/wrestling game from SE Asia.  Here, I at least held my own.  Suffered some none-too-serious bruising to the ribs, but at least I got out of the day without serious injury or broken sunglasses.

The week inbetween involved attending compulsory sessions and optional workshops.  There was plenty of information given, but answers to some of the pressing questions remained elusive.   It became clear that the majority of classes will be doing 'English for Academic Purposes' as opposed to basic English using the in-house interactive text.  So more creativity and resourcefulness will be required this term.  A couple of the workshops, from experienced TEFL trainers Nik Peachey and Dick Dendle, were useful.  But the questions on many teacher's minds were who am i teaching, when, where and with whom am I going to be partnered.  It seems all the news will come on the morning of Saturday 12th and a long day of dissemination and negotiation will begin.  At least all the teachers are in the same situation of not knowing.

Alongside this, the Baron hotel remains attractive on the outside but containing gremlins on the inside.  A cooker that repeatedly gives out electric shocks, a TV which loses a signal and the intermittent internet were little gripes that tested the unresponsive and wholly Arabic speaking hotel staff.   However, with plenty of Obeikan employees staying here, we are 'all in it together', so can share and sympathise readily with each other.  At least I got my laundry done.  I checked out an alternative hotel but have so far been unable to show an interest the absent owner, who apparently speaks English.  The other idea would be 5 or 6 of us going into a compound - but this involves being put on a waiting list and payment in advance.  There are plenty of compounds but they are usually full-up.

Anyway, classroom teaching begins in 2 days' time.  I've managed to stay positive so far and, hopefully, I can take that into next week's initial lessons.

TP

No comments:

Post a Comment