Thursday, 24 February 2011

The Return Of The King


The Return of The King

It has been another fascinating week in the Middle East, with uprisings in Libya, Yemen and Bahrain, as well as minor protests in other states.  It looks like Muammar Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi will the next leader to topple in the region, with senior officials quitting their posts, and control of the Eastern side of the country no longer in his hands.  Benghazi, the country's second city after Tripoli, has 'fallen'

Away from the campus was the timely return of King Abdullah, following a back operation in the US, and a bizarre wedding ceremony, which I attended.  The King's return comes amidst rumours that he is not fully recovered from his operation.  It has even been reported, by the Islam Times, that he died two weeks ago! 

At ground level, the streets of Riyadh were suddenly awash with flags and posters this week.  On Wednesday 23, several coaches lined up outside KSU to take random classes of properly-dressed students out of class and off towards the airport to greet the King.  Despite speculation that a day off would be granted immediately, the announcement later came that Saturday would be a 'bank holiday'.    I was grateful to have a pre-prepared lesson on 'Self-Learning' ready to roll out to my otherwise distracted first class.  My second class, however, was cancelled due to zero attendance.

Meanwhile, protests have been few and far between so far in the Kingdom.  A planned 'day of rage' on 11 March is muted, and there is a facebook campaign to generate some interest.  It remains to be seen what happens between now and then and whether anything at all will happen.  The King has announced a decree increasing social welfare spending and other benefits to his citizens.  But social reform, altogether, is a much bigger challenge.  If the King is dead, and this news comes out sooner rather than later, then change could be fast-tracked.



Posters have sprung up all over Riyadh in the last few days, while TV loops full coverage of the homecoming.

Things have settled down at the University this week, with the final training sessions for the semester on classroom technology and Continuous Assessment.My two higher level classes have quite different challenges.  The Level 6 class are motivated by the idea of taking and passing an IELTS exam in April.  I can easily draw upon my experiences at CAFA, Beijing, for this.  The latter require more dynamic, creative lessons and I am proposing that I use video to practice interviews, presentations and news reporting.  Who knows.... I may be on the streets with my students reporting on the 'unfolding situation' in Riyadh city centre.

On Tuesday, I attended a 'wedding'.  A colleague, 35-year old Mancunian Mo (Joe), got hitched to a 22-year old, green-eyed Ethiopian.  To say it was bizarre is an understatement.  We gathered at 6.30pm at his hotel room... had a few 'special cokes' and some chat... 3 hours later we were driven out to a farm somewhere on the outskirts and hung around a compound.  There were no women to be seen, but we knew they were in the building next door.  A few kids, in smart suits and white dresses, ran around, while a hoarde of local 'hangers-on' sat waiting for free food.  An elderly Imam summoned the groom to say a few words at one end of the hall, and after a few minutes the latter was warmly congratulated by everyone in the room.  Mo had got married without the bride being present, although later she was informed, when he went to visit her next door.  All the men ate Kabsah (Chicken and Rice) at 1am, before the women had their, separate turn, after the men had left.  I am told that a lot of what happened was cultural, not religious.  I was the unofficial wedding video taker.  It remains to be, based on Mo's own contentious motivations for getting wed, how long this union lasts.

TP

1.30am Finally, we can leave the compound.  I think I've shrunk!


Wedding Reception Kabsah at 1am (Groom on the right, bride locked in cupboard at the back of the room)

No comments:

Post a Comment